|Julian's Stuffed Sweet Potatoes|
• 2 large sweet potatoes, well proportioned
• 2 ears fresh sweet corn, shucked, cleaned and patted dry. (Substitute frozen corn)
• 1 12-15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
• 2 small fresh peppers, spicy or mild according to your taste, chopped
• 1/4 cup light sour cream
• 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
• 3-6 tablespoons shredded cheese ( Cheddar, Colby Jack, Taco mix of your choice)
• Salt and pepper, to taste
|Skillet-Roasted Sweet Corn|
Preheat the oven to 400F. Scrub the sweet potatoes and cut them in half lengthwise. Rub the insides with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil. Bake 60 minutes until the flesh is very soft. Remove and let cool slightly.
While sweet potatoes are baking, heat a cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Cut the corn off the stalks or use frozen corn. Add the corn to the hot skillet with no butter or oil. Let the corn roast and brown undisturbed for 4-5 minutes. Stir gently to turn the corn and let it continue to brown. Continue this for about 10 minutes until the corn is well browned and cooked but still has some crunch. Remove corn from skillet and set aside. Wipe the skillet with a paper towel. Saute the onion in butter in the same skillet for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped fresh pepper and continuing cooking for another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
|Ready to Stuff|
Using a tablespoon, scrape out the flesh of the sweet potatoes, leaving the skins intact. Leaving a thin layer of potato inside the skins will help them to maintain their shape.
Spoon the filling into the skins and top each with 1-2 tablespoon shredded cheese. Bake in the 400F oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through. Serve hot.
|Stuffed and Ready for Cheese|