I made two versions for a taste testing for a crowd at work of about 20. When the votes were cast it was 60% favored the spice cake version and 40% favored the yellow cake version. Both are really tasty and I personally preferred the one with the spice cake mix. I increased the amount of nuts from the basic recipes I found online to give it more crunch.
• 1 box cake mix (yellow, spice or butter pecan, Betty Crocker preferred)
• 1 can (15 oz) pumpkin puree
• 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk (substitute non-fat)
• 3 large eggs (substitute 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites)
• 1 1/2 cups sugar (substitute 3/4 cup Splenda Baking Blend)
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
• 1 cup butter, melted
Whipped cream, Cool Whip or Paula Deen's cream cheese whipped cream topping are all good options for this dessert.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray with food release (Pam) a 9" x 13″ pan. Mix pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt with a whisk until well blended. Pour mixture into prepared pan. The mixture will be very loose. Gently sprinkle dry cake mix over pumpkin mixture and top with pecans. Drizzle melted butter over pecans. Bake 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.