Creamed Spinach

Nothing could be more simple or delicious than fresh spinach that has been sauteed and then cooked with heavy cream. I had never posted this before because I didn't think anyone needed a recipe, it's that simple. But several have asked me to post this, so I'm doing it today.


Cooked spinach can be a great side dish and can even be prepared ahead and reheated. I never chop the fresh spinach as some do, as it really does cook down considerably and I want my dish to look like it was made from fresh spinach and not that frozen stuff. Below I recommend two large bunches of spinach and you may look at that and think it is way too much for four people. It really is not and you will not have any leftover. It cooks down considerably. In the photos I'm making a half batch, which makes only two small side dishes.

Ingredients (served 4)
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 bunches fresh spinach
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup heavy cream

Instructions
Wash the spinach several times insuring all sand and grit are removed. Holding each piece by the leafy top part, peel off the stem as far up the leaf as possible. Discard the stems and re-rinse the leaves.

In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add the oil and butter and warm until melted. Stir in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes until soft. Stir in the garlic for another minute. Add the spinach, salt and pepper and stir until cooked down. Add the heavy cream and a pinch of nutmeg and continue cooking 3-5 minutes until the liquid reduces by half. Serve hot.

Comments