Wedge Salad with Blue-cheese, Peppered-bacon and Shrimp

This is one of the easiest salads of summer, and perhaps one of the most enjoyable as well. With tomatoes ripe from the vine here in Chicago, now is the time to enjoy them with a cold, crisp wedge of iceberg lettuce.



Bacon is always a favorite, and here I'm using my favorite (Nuske's) peppered bacon. Of course adding a few large, cooked and chilled shrimp just adds to the glamour of this dish.

This is a steakhouse classic salad when you just have the iceberg wedge, blue cheese dressing and the bacon. But as I'm serving this as a summer luncheon with only some sliced French bread, today I've added big, ripe golden tomato slices and the shrimp.

No recipe is really required as you can use whatever you like. A good blue cheese dressing (chunky preferred) is fantastic, but if you have family that don't like blue cheese, substitute ranch dressing. I did drizzle a bit of good olive oil on the tomatoes, and then gave the entire dish a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I fried my bacon outdoors earlier and then just crumbled it up for the salad when I was ready for lunch.

Comments