Cheesy Herb Mashed Potatoes - And other Variations

Last week I made these Cheesy Herb Mashed Potatoes. As several had inquired how I make them, I'm sharing that recipe this week. Any compound mashed potato mixture is easy to make and always a nice addition to dinner.


It really is so simple to make these, and I often do when I am not making a gravy to accompany the potatoes. Plain mashed potatoes really don't have much flavor which is why a pan gravy is so good with them. So consider these mashed potatoes whenever you are not making gravy.


If you've not used Boursin cheese before, it is similar to cream cheese in texture. I purchase the original flavor, garlic and fine herbs. Boursin is a brand of Gournay cheese. It is a soft creamy cheese and widely available and relatively low cost. I store this in my refrigerator and it holds for long periods unopened. You could substitute a similarly flavored Philadelphia brand cream cheese, although I find I can even get the Boursin cheese at Walmart. So you should have no trouble procuring it. I always keep a package on hand, as I also use it for several cracker spreads.

NOTE: Today I'm using peeled golden potatoes, but I typically use a red-skin potato and leave it unpeeled. You can use either or even a peeled white potato. As always I try to use up what I have on hand.

Ingredients
3 pounds potatoes (See NOTE above)
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 - 5.2 ounce package of Boursin cheese, Garlic & Fine Herb
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or substitute dried parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
Cut potatoes into approximately equal sizes about 1-inch thick. (Peel first if not red skin potatoes). Place in cold water until the water is about 1-inch above the largest potato. Add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until tender about 30-45 minutes. Test with a fork to determine when done. They should be soft but not falling apart.

Drain the potatoes completely. Return to the warm dry cooking vessel. Mash with beaters of your electric mixer or a potato masher. Douse with the melted butter and mix in. Add the Boursin cheese, the fresh/dry herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until smooth, about 1 minute. Do not over-mix as potatoes can become gluey if you mix excessively. Taste to insure they are smooth and properly seasons. Cover and keep warm until ready to serve.


You can also make other variations, such as sour cream and chive. In the above photo, I've used red skin potatoes (skin on, and quartered for cooking.) To that I added the typical melted butter first, then whipped in  1/2 cup sour cream and a bunch of fresh chives (chopped fine), along with a handful of finely grated cheddar cheese. I added some cream to correct the texture. Also delicious!

Comments