Monday, April 19, 2010

Berry Pies

In Spring and early Summer, I love to bake fresh berry pies.  My mother made them regularly and believed in using most any kind of good berry when it was in season.  She also did a great mixed berry pie. Shown above is a fresh blueberry pie.  As you can tell, I like the deep dish variety!

Nothing is really more simple and satisfying than a fruit pie.  You can even use the pre-made crust if you prefer.  Then just select the berries of your choice, sprinkle them with a mixture of sugar and cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Toss them well to mix and turn them out into your unbaked pie shell.  I usually sprinkle with a few drops of fresh lemon juice, dot with a few pats of butter and top with a crust coated in a nice, coarse sanding sugar.

As you can see in the photo (circa 1961), my mother got me started in the kitchen early.  There's no better way to teach a person a love for good food and its preparation.  If you have children in your life, be sure to take the time to let them help in the kitchen and you will endow them with a life filled with the pleasures of the table.

Fresh Blackberry Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment