Friday, December 31, 2010

Lobster Tails for New Year's Eve Dinner

Here is my 52nd posting this year and my last entry for 2010.  Time to celebrate a nearly weekly entry to the blog?  Perhaps, but as we've gotten older we have spent most of our New Year's holidays at home.  We sometimes take in a theater performance and have dinner out, but more times than not, you'll find us ringing in the New Year having a little quiet time to ourselves.  For these occassions, I either do an evening of all appetizers as we watch the New Year arrive around the world, or I have sometimes made a rich, seafood treat. 

As you can see in the photos here, this was one year when I went for the rich seafood.  Thankfully our local Costco has an excellent selection of shellfish for this holiday.  These lobster tails were some of the biggest I'd ever seen.  Normally when selecting lobster tails, I look for very cold water specimans as they are the most flavorful (as in Maine or off the coast of Canada.)  I also go for tails that are not too large as they can be tough.  But this year I obviously didn't follow that advice and was lured by the size of these lovely specimens. 

To prepare the lobster tail, I run a sharp, thin knife along the inside wall of the shell (all the way around in a circular fashion to loosen the meat from the shell.)  Then using kitchen scissors I make a dorsal slit and then lift the raw meat up out of the shell.  For small tails, I'll oven turn them upside down and using kitchen sheers, cut out the thin bottom structure, then roast them in the shell.  If they are a little larger, you can split them in half before roasting.  But this year, I went for the full presentation, so they were roasted in a 400F oven for about 20 minutes sitting up on top of their shells.  Simply baste with butter once or twice during cooking, sprinkle with some paprika and you are ready to serve.  Certainly a lobster tail of this size will fill even the largest appetite and is not recommend if your loved one is watching his/her cholesterol.  But for this holiday treat, we did enjoy these large tails.

Our best wishes for a safe, happy, and healthy
New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment