Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Italian Breaded Cauliflower

Cauliflower is one of the those veggies that not everyone likes. Worse, many think the only way to prepare it is to steam it and top it with thick cheese sauce, perhaps hoping to disguise the flavor. Cauliflower can, of course, be roasted, boiled, fried, steamed, pickled or even eaten raw. While I admit to sometimes using the au gratin method, I most frequently prepare it Italian-style, which to me means a light coating of seasoned bread crumbs.

It's really the simplest way to prepare this member of the brassicaceae family. On various food blogs you will find several breading techniques, from dipping each piece in an egg mixture to my method, of simply tossing the florets in olive oil before applying the bread crumbs.

For the crumb mixture, I use 2/3 cup of seasoned Italian-style bread crumbs, 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, a teaspoon of seasoned salt, 2 teaspoons of granulated garlic and a tablespoon of flour. Add a good grind of fresh black pepper and stir the dry ingredients to combine. Set aside about 1/4 cup of the bread crumb mixture. Then simply sprinkle the mixture on the oiled cauliflower about one quarter at a time, turning it after each application.

On a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with food release or more oil, spread the breaded cauliflower gently onto the prepared sheet. Sprinkle the remaining bread crumb mixture onto the cauliflower and roast on the center rack in a preheated 425F oven for 30 minutes, uncovered. Remove from the oven and it is ready to serve and nicely browned.

I know your family will enjoy this preparation and if like mine, will always request you prepare it in this manner.

2 comments:

  1. Cauliflower is one of my favorite vegetables! Your recipe sounds wonderful, I will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good. I always steam cauliflower and it does get boring. I'll give this a try and surprise Eddie one evening.

    ReplyDelete