Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Aunt Rose's Pot Pie

It's that time of the year when we start to work on cleaning out the freezer. After the holidays have been celebrated, the freezer seems to be quite full. In my recent search I found a large, meaty ham bone that was tucked away after one of my holiday meals.

Kevin said I should make 'pot pie', by which he really means a hearty ham stew that my mom and my Aunt Rose regularly made when I was young. I call this entry "Aunt Rose's Pot Pie" because after my mother passed away I contacted my dear Aunt Rose (photo of her at right circa 1943) to ask how she made this Amish country dish. This is her method and I've used it regularly since.

The difference between a pot pie that you find in the store and this dish is that there is no crust on the top or the bottom. Instead you make the broth from your ham bone with a classic combination of carrots, onion and celery. After the bone cooks for several house and the meat has come loose, you strain the mixture to remove the bones and waste. Then you return the meat to the pot, return it to a boil and add a few small peeled potatoes and some sliced carrots, mostly for color.
While the bone has been cooking, you prepare a noodle dough using flower, eggs, water and a little salt. You roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8" or a bit thicker if you prefer. You cut the dough into 1" squares. The squares can sit and dry some while the ham bone is cooking. When the potatoes are about cooked through and the pot is still boiling, you slowly drop the dough squares into the pot to cook through, taking care to stir the pot regularly to ensure they do not sink to the bottom and stick there. Once all of the dough has been added, reduce the temperature and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so. It is now ready to serve and very good on a cold winter day.

2 comments:

  1. I've never made it this way... great recipe idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Love your latest post on glitter as well. Directed friends from my Facebook page to have a look.

    ReplyDelete