Saturday, February 20, 2010

Crab Cakes with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Tonight I was looking for an easy and healthy dinner. Thankfully today you can find good quality one pound canned lump crab meat in your grocer's cooler. (Do try to avoid the small watery cans that are not kept refrigerated. Of course if you have access to fresh crab, nothing beats freshly picked crab.)

Using my tried and true recipe, I served the crab cakes with a simple roasted red pepper sauce and a side salad. As my recipe uses just a little bread crumb, it is important to chill the cakes through before cooking to ensure they stay together. The red pepper sauce is simple to make, unique and makes a perfect accompaniment for the crab cakes. (I also have the Two Fat Ladies 'buttered crab' recipe which is really good as well and perfect to use up the extra crab if you don't want too many crab cakes.)

The salad, shown here, is a spinach salad with roasted pear, walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese dressed with a very light apple cider vinegar and oil dressing. We make this salad often and always enjoy it. It goes particularly well as part of this main course.

Sometimes I use the same crab cake recipe to make smaller, appetizer size cakes which are always popular. If you want the actual recipes for the cakes or the sauce, you can find them on my Facebook profile in the Recipe Binder.

2 comments:

  1. I just love crab cakes... great recipe with the sauce... looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The sauce is what really makes these crab cakes special.

    ReplyDelete